Since inception, the firm’s focus has been on assisting companies or individuals who have been the victims of complex fraud. We assist to either recover those monies or to privately prosecute and deter fraudsters. We commonly deal with the following:
- fraud in joint venture contracts, such as the dishonest re-routing of a percentage of joint venture funds to one party (internationally and in the UK);
- fraud in commercial contracts with banks and financial institutions;
- theft, fraud, dishonesty or money laundering in relation to solicitors, accountants, and other professionals who have abused their position;
- any type of fraud or false misrepresentation in a business, employment or financial context which has resulted in loss to a company or individual;
- loan, insurance and mortgage fraud;
- data theft by ex-employees or current employees; and
- internal fraud within a company.
When a fraud is committed against a company, private prosecutions can have a significant deterrent effect. A private prosecution sends a clear message to a potential fraudster that a company defrauded will take robust and decisive action. As a firm experienced in bringing prosecutions on behalf of companies, we are fully aware of the commercial and reputational considerations of concern to a company. We frequently advise on the best way to address these concerns.
As highly experienced prosecutors, Edmonds Marshall McMahon is well versed in making clear and rapid decisions, based on knowledge and experience of what can be proved and how much needs to be proved for a successful case. As well as financial crime investigations, Edmonds Marshall McMahon also advise on the benefits of applying for restraint and confiscation orders, have significant experience in obtaining orders and robustly enforcing any orders made by the court.