Luke joined Edmonds Marshall McMahon in January 2020 following 10 years as a senior prosecutor for both the Specialist Fraud Division and the Organised Crime Division of the Crown Prosecution Service.
Prior to joining EMM, Luke was a Senior Specialist Prosecutor at the CPS advising the National Crime Agency, City of London Police, regional police forces, and HMRC in relation to investigations concerning complex international fraud, bribery and corruption, money laundering, financial sanctions, export controls and tax evasion.
As a Specialist Prosecutor in the Organised Crime Division of the CPS Luke prosecuted cases arising from the Leveson Inquiry and operations conducted by the National Crime Agency for offences of drug trafficking, money laundering, cybercrime and child exploitation.
Before joining the CPS, Luke served as a prosecutor for the Revenue and Customs Prosecutions Office, and for a London Borough prosecuting cases on behalf of the Council including trade mark infringements, breaches of planning regulations and various health and safety regulatory matters.
Examples of Luke’s work include the following:
- The prosecution of R v Wright, Price and Pagliara for offences under the Bribery Act 2010 following the Daily Telegraph undercover investigation into corruption in football.
- Prosecuting R v George and Others for trafficking and brokering military and dual use goods to Iran in breach of Export Controls.
- Operation Weeting – Member of the team that prosecuted phone hacking cases arising from the Leveson Inquiry, including R v Brooks, Coulson and Others.
- Operation Elveden – Prosecuted public officials including Police Officers and Prison Officers for Misconduct in Public Office concerning the sale of confidential information to journalists.
- Prosecuted R v Hutcheson and Others for conspiring to hack into the computers of Gordon Ramsay and his company, contrary to the Computer Misuse Act.
- Prosecuting nine suspects in two linked trials for fraudulently selling carbon credits as investments, resulting in significant Confiscation Orders.
- Operation Lath – Prosecuted fourteen Defendants for operating a Trojan horse virus to compromise online banking facilities and steal customer funds. Co-ordinated arrests with foreign jurisdictions and prosecuted within custody time limits.
- Operation Flume – Advised City of London Police concerning undercover investigation in Spain resulting in European Arrest Warrants, Extradition and prosecution of international boiler room fraudsters and money launderers.
- Operation Blackout – Prosecution of organised crime gang responsible for importing and distributing counterfeit luxury brands from China and laundering the proceeds.
- Operation Decade – Prosecuted accountant and property developers for cheating the Revenue out of £2.5 million following three month trial at Nottingham Crown.
- Prosecuted R v Eshpari and Others, the first land banking fraud in the UK, resulting in custodial sentences and Confiscation Orders.
- Prosecuted R v Simmons and Others for defrauding 30 victims of approximately £700,000 through a boiler room selling coloured diamonds as investments.
Luke is a member of The Fraud Lawyers Association.