Fani joined Edmonds Marshall McMahon in 2015 from the CPS Organised Crime Division where she was involved in large-scale investigations and prosecutions involving conspiracy to import drugs, money laundering, immigration offences and misconduct in public office.
Since joining the firm, Fani has gained wide-ranging experience in both the Criminal and Civil arena. Her current work involves serious and complex fraud, counterfeit and intellectual property prosecutions and proceeds of crime. Fani has acted for corporates and individuals who have been the victim of all manner of frauds.
Case highlights include advising and representing a client to secure a conviction, confiscation and compensation order following an elaborate cross-jurisdictional fraud involving actors, sophisticated forgeries and a fake bank. The Defendant’s default sentence of 6 years was activated for failing to repay the orders made against him.
Acting for an individual and three companies to secure an urgent ex parte freezing injunction following a sophisticated fraud, where the true identity of the fraudster was unknown and had transferred misappropriated funds into Bitcoin.
Securing a conviction, substantial fine and costs order against a corporate who, whilst actively and expensively pursuing world-wide litigation following the purchase and sale of a coal mine in Siberia, was taking advantage of slack enforcement by UK Companies House to claim that it was inactive. The Company was convicted of Fraud and offences contrary to the Companies Act 2006.
Fani regularly conducts a large number of intellectual property prosecutions for some of the world’s leading brands and companies in the fashion and luxury goods sector.
- The Queen (on the application of Asim Siddiqui and Raed Siddiqui) v Westminster Magistrates’ Court, Bakhtiar Abbasi Interested Party  EWHC 1648 (Admin) – successful challenge to a District Judge’s decision to set aside a summons and to stay criminal proceedings.
- R v Lehram Capital Investments Ltd – successful conviction of a corporate for falsely claiming dormant status for fraud and other offences;
- R v Gillani – successful conviction of seller of large amount of dangerous counterfeit contact lenses, defendant received large fine;
- R v Kulich – $1.2m cross jurisdictional fraud where the defendant was sentenced to 5 years and a confiscation and compensation order granted;
- R v Shinners – successful conviction of fraudulent estate agent sentenced to 3 years;
- R v Troy Wood – joint private and public prosecution for offences of fraud, theft and perverting the course of justice;
- R v Purcell – crowdfunded prosecution for causing death by careless driving;
- Operation Sabra – £8m importation of liquid cocaine found in tins of carrot juice. The two defendants were sentenced to 22 years imprisonment;
- Operation Elveden – misconduct in public office following payments by journalists of the Sun newspaper to public officials.
Fani receives high praise from clients and colleagues alike due to her calm, friendly nature and dedication to her cases.
- EMM successfully prosecutes fraudulent Estate Agent
- Is our Criminal Justice System up to scratch?
- Fraud cases on the rise
- New Measures introduced by the Economic Crime (Transparency and Enforcement) Act 2022.
Fani is a member of the following professional societies:
- Young Fraud Lawyers Association
- Junior Lawyers Division of Law Society
- Fraud Women’s Network
- LAWorld NextGen