Matthew was called to the Bar in 2005 by Inner Temple and joined Edmonds Marshall McMahon in May 2016. Matthew combines his experience as a prosecutor with his extensive legal knowledge to provide clients with high quality, practical advice. Matthew worked for the Crown Prosecution Service for nine years in a range of different roles; delivering charging advice to the police, presenting cases in all types of hearings in court, and managing a range of serious and complex casework.
Matthew spent his last eighteen months with the Crown Prosecution Service working in the Specialist Fraud Division. This division prosecute the most serious and complex fraud cases investigated by the police throughout England and Wales and primarily take fraud and corruption work from the specialist units in the City of London Police and Metropolitan Police Service. The division also prosecute all cases investigated by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs and the Department for Work and Pensions.
Matthew has extensive experience in all criminal matters ranging from summary offences through to complex conspiracies.
Some cases of note include:
- R v Gerard Lawless – successful prosecution of a financial director for £1.5 million fraud/theft, sentenced to 7.5 years imprisonment.
- R v Timothy Shinners – successful prosecution of a fraudulent estate agent, sentenced to 3 years imprisonment.
- R v Troy Wood – joint private and public prosecution for offences of fraud, theft and perverting the course of justice.
- R v B – Charging/reviewing lawyer in a factoring fraud where the victims, HSBC, were defrauded out of £2 million. The defendant pleaded guilty and was sentenced to a term of imprisonment.
- R v A & V – Advising on a multi-cell VAT repayment fraud involving suspects who set up over two hundred companies for the purpose of defrauding the revenue. The value of the fraud was in excess of £600K and a significant amount of evidence had to be obtained from European Jurisdictions.
- R v L – Prosecution of a Carbon Credit/Rare Earth Metal boiler room fraud in which several complainants were defrauded out of their life savings. A focused investigation resulted in a quick charging decision and an early guilty plea.
- EMM secure the conviction of Financial Controller Gerard Lawless for £1.5 million Theft
- EMM successfully prosecutes fraudulent Estate Agent
- Deferred Prosecution Agreements – A Guide.